• As temperatures reach freezing and dip far below it, be sure to close all air vents and other openings in the crawl space under your house. This will prevent heat from escaping as much as possible.
• In freezing weather, never set your home's thermostat below 55 degrees. Below that temperature your pipes are at risk of freezing. Don’t try to be an environmental hero and save a few bucks on your energy bill.
• Insulate pipes that are prone to freezing, such as those near an outside wall, in unheated areas of your home, or if they are exposed, such as outside spigots. In an emergency, several layers of newspapers or rags can be used for temporary insulation. However, seek professional help in winterizing your pipes if you are not capable of doing the work.
• Keep the cover to your water meter box securely in place to prevent the meter from freezing during cold periods.
• Here is a tip we can all do in extremely cold weather, leave cabinet doors under sinks open to keep warm air circulating.
Especially for the elderly some of these precautionary efforts may be difficult this winter. If and when winter problems occur, call AquaTech Plumbing any time 24/7 serving Naperville, Lisle, Plainfield, Aurora, Geneva, Batavia, St. Charles, Wheaton, Winfield, Warrenville, or Glen Ellyn, at 630-416-3555, 630-898-3444, 630-377-9555, or 630-462-3555.