If you suspect that you have a gas leak, leave the building and call your local gas company or 911. Never attempt to repair the gas line yourself. These types of emergencies always require a professional and only a licensed plumber is allowed to work on gas line installation and repair.
There are some signs of a gas leak to watch out for:
- Hissing, whistling, or roaring sound near gas appliance or gas line
- Smelling the rotten egg/sulfur smell
- Dead or dying vegetation over or near a gas pipeline
- Exposed pipeline after fire, flood, or other disaster
- Physical damage to a gas appliance
- Water or dirt being blown into the air
- A fire or explosion near a pipeline
If you live in the Naperville-Plainfield-Aurora, Geneva-Batavia-St.Charles or Wheaton-Winfield-Warrenville-Glen Ellyn area, contact AquaTech Plumbing at 630-416-3555, 630-377-9555, or 630-462-3555 for assistance with gas line installation or repairs. There are many DIY tasks a homeowner can take on, but installing or repairing a gas line is not one of them.