Here are some tips to keep your home and business plumbing in good working order this winter.
• As temperatures reach freezing and dip far below it, be sure to close all air vents and other openings in the crawl space under your house. Doing this will prevent heat from escaping as much as possible.
• During freezing weather, never set your thermostat below 55 degrees. Below that temperature your pipes are at risk for the probability of freezing.
• Insulate pipes that are prone to freezing, such as those near an outside wall, in unheated areas, especially if they are exposed, such as outside spigots. In an emergency, several layers of newspapers or rags can be used for temporary insulation.
• Keep the cover to your water meter box tightened to prevent the meter from freezing during cold periods.
• Don’t forget to let a trickle of water run through your faucets to prevent freezing..
If Your Pipes Freeze:
• It is ill-advised to use a hair dryer, heat lamp or light bulb to thaw the frozen pipe yourself. Too much heat in one spot can burst the pipe and it is difficult to evenly distribute the heat over a large area of the pipe. You are not a licensed plumber, don’t try to become one this winter. Call AquaTech Plumbing, serving the Fox Valley and western Chicagoland with any plumbing task any time. If you live in Naperville, Lisle, Plainfield, Aurora, Geneva, Batavia, St. Charles, Wheaton, Winfield, Warrenville, or Glen Ellyn, give AquaTech Plumbing a call today at 630-416-3555, 630-898-3444, 630-377-9555, or 630-462-3555.