AquaTech Plumbing tips to keep your home in good working order this winter, and if something goes wrong we are here to help you through the winter of 2014-2015.
• As temperatures reach freezing and dip far below it, be sure to close all air vents and other openings in the crawl space under your house. This will prevent heat from escaping as much as possible.
• In freezing weather, never set your home's thermostat below 55 degrees. Below that temperature your pipes are at risk of freezing.
• Insulate pipes that are prone to freezing, such as those near an outside wall, in unheated areas of your home, or if they are exposed, such as outside spigots. In an emergency, several layers of newspapers or rags can be used for temporary insulation.
• Keep the cover to your water meter box securely in place to prevent the meter from freezing during cold periods.
• Here is a tip that most people do not consider. In extremely cold weather, leave cabinet doors under sinks open to keep warm air circulating.
If Your Pipes Freeze:
• It is ill-advised to use a hair dryer, heat lamp or light bulb to thaw the frozen pipe yourself. Too much heat in one spot can burst the pipe, and it is difficult to evenly distribute the heat over a large area of the pipe. We also recommend against using any electrical appliance to thaw a pipe which can be dangerous because the appliance could become wet, increasing your danger of electrocution.
• DO NOT use a blow torch or any type of flame to thaw a frozen line. In addition to the danger of fire, extreme heat could thaw the pipe too rapidly, causing it to burst and resulting in potential injury and damage to your property.
If you live in the Naperville-Plainfield-Aurora, Geneva-Batavia-St.Charles or Wheaton-Winfield-Warrenville-Glen Ellyn area, contact AquaTech Plumbing at 630-416-3555, 630-377-9555, or 630-462-3555 for assistance in keeping your home in tip-top shape this winter season.